Saturday, December 7, 2013

Family Businesses & Buyouts

$100 Challenge Update

This project is complete.  I have begun working on my presentation for next week.

Weekly Readings & Studies

Case Studies:  I reviewed a case study of the DAG group and the Rogers Family real estate investment business.

Discussion Boards:  I researched businesses that are for sell in the area that I live.  I found a tutoring franchise that looked interesting.  My husband and I have talked about owning a business before.  The reality of this would most likely take a lot of savings on our part.  There was another discussion board about being a consultant for a family business needing to identify a successor.  This case study made me think of my grandfather who owned a ranch.  It’s not a portable business so his options were limited.  A succession plan was very important to keep his business going.

Acton Hero: Erick Slabaugh


This is such a poignant hero to study during this week while our studies are focused on family businesses. Slabaugh brought Absco to the number one slot in their field. Listening to his story solidified what I have thought about some of the difficulties of being a business owner.  Peers might look at you differently because you may not have everything they do and you have to live a different lifestyle, but the quality of life later on will be flipped.  Then people saw you were "lucky," not realizing all the work it took to get you to that point. Slabaugh came back to his dad's business when things seemed bleak.  He helped turn things around, bought all the equity in the company and built the business into something phenomenal.


My favorite quote from Slabaugh during the interview was, "Entrepreneurship is a wonderful way to go. If you choose to, it can be an adventure, but it also comes with a responsibility."  This is such a great quote because it can apply to all entrepreneurs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it, hate it? Agree, disagree? Please comment!